Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Next Round Starts

Spent the day off doing other work for the Weekly. Four years ago I got to spend the day between the prelims and semis at a screening of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. It was a relief getting a big sugary dose of pop culture amid all the classical music. No such luck this year, but given how well I like many of the semifinalists, I'm not complaining.

While we were waiting for the semifinalists to be announced on Tuesday night, I went across the street to Ferre and got caught up in a different kind of drama, watching LeBron James almost pull out another victory in Game 4 of the Cleveland-Orlando series. Sobering to think that if it hadn't been for his Game 2 last-second shot, the Cavs would have been swept by now.

As in previous years, the eliminated pianists will be taking part in a piano marathon, performing the semifinal and final-round recitals that they would have played had they reached the later rounds. This year, it's at McDavid Studio on Jun 1-2. Looking over the semifinal programs, I must say I would've liked to hear Vondracek play the "Appassionata" Sonata and Debussy's Pour le piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment